Tuesday 18 December 2012

The Horror

It has been a horror of a week.  I can't process the details so I have consciously turned away from the news.  I don't want to bear witness.  I am also experiencing horror at some of the reactions and responses to it all.  In spite of my efforts, I walked into the kitchen this morning to hear a man in tears denying to an Australian journalist that an examination of gun laws in the United States would make a difference to something like this happening again since "no sane person would ever do this".  It's just too damn depressing.

My heart is heavy and my stomach is in turmoil.  I take comfort where I can find it.  Today, it was walking my beautiful aging dog in the sunshine through the gardens near our house, watching small children feed the ducks and coots, admiring the Lorikeets swooping through the Palms, and listening to the Cockatoos screech at each other like pairs of fishwives.























5 comments:

Elizabeth said...

I do not agree that changing gun laws will make no difference. Should a lunatic have entered that school with a less lethal weapon, he NEVER would have done the damage that he did. I am cheered only by what I believe to be an enormous outrage in this country, FINALLY, to get something done. I have to believe that it will stop.

Jen said...

the event has certainly elicited a wide range of reactions....but like Michael Moore in an article I read yesterday, I'm not certain whether there is the strength of will to make the changes necessary. I will try to remain optimistic though that common sense will prevail!

Unknown said...

It seems to me that the people in the US are finally outraged enough to force gun law discussion. It's so, so sad that it takes something as sick and horrible for us to react. But I think you are right, Christine, to take what pleasure you can in the things around you.

Anonymous said...

i love the labrador! :) and thank YOU so much for loving him as family, even while he's old and creaky

Jawahara said...

Awww....sweet, sweet Murphy! That face. I don't think anything is going to change on this issue any time soon but then walls have fallen in an instant and equal rights for all must have once seemed unimaginable in the U.S. as well. We live in hope, right?