Sunday 12 August 2012

Olympic Junkie

I am and not ashamed to admit it!  I have followed the Olympics avidly since the 1976 Montreal Games.  They were held in my home town and I remember vividly the exploits of Olga Korbut, Nadia Comaneci and Alberto Juantareno.  The Hungarian swim team trained at my swim club, and I remember rising early every morning for a week to get to the pool and watch in awe as they went through their laps.

Every two years I wonder if it's too late to take up Biathlon, Rowing, Cross-country Skiing, or Field Hockey.  Every two years I watch in wonder, in admiration, and cry at every high drama moment where life-time ambitions are achieved or dashed in a heartbeat.

This year, we've all cheered Usain Bolt and Mo Farah, the amazing results of Team GB.  I've alternated between rooting for Team Canada and Team Australia finding my loyalties swinging equally between the two.

I've seen the following advertisement from Australian telecommunications giant Telstra about a thousand times in the last two weeks, and all five of us in the Hendricks household are humming it constantly, perpetually setting each other off.   I swallow a lump in my throat everytime!



3 comments:

Jen said...

we too are watching as many events as possible. The most interesting thing for me this time around is to watch Nate's reaction to watching...we use it as a great learning example of how hard work is important, how to get back up after you fall, about winning and losing...We'll be missing the games when they are over tomorrow!

Esther said...

Have also loved the Olympics. I will actually be glad when it's over and I will be able to get on with my life.

Sheila Cook said...

What can I say - it was a tremendous honour to have the Olympics in London. We went to a couple of events and it was truly amazing. The crowds and volunteers (and athletes)were superb. I am immensely proud of Britain. As Sebastian Coe said "...when our time came, Britain did it right."